Having an ant problem is certainly not uncommon regardless of where you live in the US. Ants are tiny insects that have a remarkable sense of smell and are constantly on the hunt for food. The best way to deal with ants is to prevent them from coming into your home in the first place. But even if a trail of ants have squeezed through a small crack in your window sill, you can still get rid of this persistent pest by treating your home for an ant infestation.
What causes ants to come inside?
There are a few factors that can make ants decide it is a good idea to sneak into your home. A few ant magnets are:
- Food: Ants are primarily attracted to food sources. If you have crumbs, spills, or open food containers in your home, they can easily become targets for ants searching for sustenance.
- Water: Especially in the heat of the summer, ants need to find a water source. If you have places in your home that have moisture issues, such as leaks or damp areas, you may find ants congregating around those places in your house.
- Weather Conditions: Ants can be more active indoors during extreme weather conditions. They might seek shelter from heat, cold, or rain, which can lead them into your home.
- A messy home: Regular cleaning is essential to prevent ant infestations. Crumbs and food debris can accumulate quickly, providing a continuous food source for ants. Trash that has food containers or discarded food can also be a big magnet for ants.
- Plants and Gardens: If you have plants or gardens close to your home, ants might be using them as a food source and can easily find their way indoors. Sometimes ants will actually build their nests in a potted plant. If you bring the plant indoors, you may soon find an entire colony worth of ants marching around your home.
How do I get rid of ants?
If you find ants in your home and understand why they have come inside, it is time to get them out. A few ways to get rid of ants are:
- Seal Entry Points: Seal any cracks or openings in your home's exterior to prevent ants from getting in. If you have a trail of ants in your home, try to follow it to see where the ants are coming in.
- Store Food Properly: Keep food in sealed containers and clean pet food bowls promptly.
- Eliminate Moisture: Address any water leaks or damp areas in your home by using a dehumidifier or calling a plumber to fix the leak.
- Remove Nesting Sites: Identify and eliminate potential nesting sites, such as piles of debris or clutter around the perimeter of your home or near the house.
- Use Baits: Ant baits can help control ant populations by targeting entire colonies. The ants take the bait back to their colony so you get rid of the ants at their source
- Professional Help: If the infestation is severe or persistent, consider seeking the assistance of a pest control professional.
The best way of getting rid of ants for good is hiring a trusted ant control expert who will thoroughly treat for ants in and around your home. In Henderson, NV, give Pest Raiders a call today to get rid of the trail of ants marching across your kitchen.