You don’t have to be in a city for long to notice that pigeons love to coexist among the chaos. Often found on the streets scavenging for food and hidden in crevices around town, pigeons have adapted quite well to city life. With their growing populations can come some annoyances, however. They may spread bacteria and disease, make a mess with their droppings and make lots of noise with their loud chirping. If you find you have a pigeon problem on your roof, a professional pest control expert can help clean up the mess and repel the birds to restore your peaceful haven.
Prevent Pigeons in the First Place
Pigeons like to make their home in a place that keeps them safe from the elements and gives them easy access to food and water. You can take a few steps to keep pigeons from making a home on your rooftop so that you won’t have to deal with an issue down the road. For example, remove food sources such as bird feeders or pet bowls from your property. Pigeons may also be attracted to plants that produce edible nuts. You can place reflective tape or wind chimes that effectively scare the birds away. Spikes can also be installed around your roof to make it uncomfortable for pigeons to roost. These steps can reduce the chance that pigeons will make a nest on your property, but if they don’t work, a professional may be necessary to keep your home pigeon free.
Why Call a Professional?
Homeowners may choose to DIY many things around their home. Eliminating pigeons from your property, however, should not be one of them. We recommend calling a pigeon control expert for a few reasons:
- Pigeons can become aggressive if they feel threatened.
- The birds can be difficult to keep away once they have found a reliable food source or shelter.
- Pigeons are known to carry viruses and bacteria that can lead to sickness or other health concerns for people and pets.
- Birds are difficult to catch and relocate humanely in a way where they will not return.
What Will a Pigeon Control Expert Do?
When you call a professional, they will conduct a full assessment of the extent of your pigeon problem. They will determine treatment options and provide you with a detailed explanation of the plan. Treatment options may include:
- A full cleaning of the area including nest removal
- Relocating birds to a new location
- Installing ultrasonic sound machines that repel birds
- Placing reflective mirrors or objects around the perimeter of your home to scare away birds
- Using bird repellent around the areas of your home prone to birds perching
- Installing spikes around the roofline
- Placing protective equipment such as netting on solar panels
Pigeons are very smart birds with amazing navigation and survival abilities. If you have a pigeon problem on your roof, don’t wait to call an expert who can outsmart the clever creatures. At Pest Raiders, we take the health and well-being of your family seriously. Contact us today to see how our experts can provide you with the treatment options that work the best for your home.